Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Bathroom Makeover: Framing a Builder's Grade Mirror

We've been in our house a little over a year now, and I have been working on some projects here and there as I've had time. One thing I've been dying to do is get rid of the builder's grade mirror in the kids' bathroom. Since it is glued to the wall, the next best thing to replacing it completely was to frame it ourselves. After researching (there are many blog posts and YouTube videos on this project!), we figured out what would be best for our situation and quickly got to work!

Tools & Supplies we used:
  • Wood (we used 1x3)
  • Stain (we used Minwax Polyshades in Espresso)
  • Staining cloths
  • 3M Between Coats Finishing Pads
  • Mirror Adhesive & Caulk Gun
  • Painters Tape
  • Miter Saw
  • Chisel
  • Rubber Mallet
  • Clamps
  • Measuring Tape
  • Level
My husband measured and cut the lumber to size using his miter saw. We decided to keep the plastic clips at the top of the mirror there and mount the wood directly to the mirror. He used a chisel and rubber mallet to notch where the clips would sit behind the wood & stained the pieces.

  

Once the stain was dry (we only used one coat), I used the 3M finishing pads to even out some spots before mounting the frame to the mirror.

  

I used so much tape because I was so paranoid about it falling before the adhesive had time to cure. Ha! I don't know if you need this much, just use what you're comfortable with! I mounted the bottom piece first and held it in place with some books stacked between it and the faucet. It sits directly on the top lip of the counter, which kept it level. I mounted the right side next, and used some leftover wood pieces between the frame and the wall to keep that corner from shifting. The left side of the frame was next, and that's the piece I was most worried about shifting or falling. That's why it has the most tape! The top piece was the final piece, and once everything was in place I let it cure with the tape for 2 days. I also didn't let the kids shower in there to keep the moisture out. That may be overkill, but I really didn't want to risk interfering with the adhesive at all.

Paint color is "Iced Lemonade" from Sherwin Williams.

I am so very pleased with how it turned out!

This mirror and the wall paint were the first steps in this redecoration. My husband also built me a shelf for over the toilet (sneak peek in this photo!) which I need to decorate. I have a few more things to finish in here before it's complete, and then I'll do a full bathroom makeover reveal!


No comments:

Post a Comment